Saturday, March 17, 2012

Almost to the finish line

The Meseta before Castrojeriz, Spain
Well I know it has been a while since I have posted a blog but trust me after a long day of walking the last thing one wants to do is find a computer with internet and write something. I thought it would be easy to find a cafe along the Camino but not so. Most are slow computers with minimal capabilities and usually no internet. I apologize however because I did promise to write at least once a week and I have not done so. :) I really do apologize.

Tonite we (my friends Martin-German, Lisa-Germa, and Marteen-Belgian) are at Villafranca del Bierzo, Spain. Approximately 115miles left to Santiago de Compostela. We are staying in a nice private Albergue (Albergue De La Piedra) that has this wonderful moderm computer that reads SD cards :) After soaking my feet in warm water and salt I felt compeled to write something. It has been quite a journey from Saint Jean Pied de Port, France and going westerly across the wonderful nothern part of Spain. Alot of days it has been somewhat a trial for the feet but mostly the mind. Pain is afterall all in the mind (but you should probably listen to it once in a while).

A Spanish pilgrim left her worned out shoe on the Camino just before Viana, Spain. I later notice who the pilgrim was when I saw her wearing mismatch shoes in Navarette, Spain.
After passing Viana, Spain most of the beauty of the country seemed to have become a thing of the past but we have been rewarded occasionally with beauty such as the Meseta pictured above. Alot of the big cities that we have passed have each of their beautiful old world history (ie churces) but mostly have been an annoyance to the feet. The concrete road has become the worst enemy to walking comfortably in my opinion. However sooner or later we find a nice quiet dirt path and feel that we are finally walking on a cloud (sorta). I have started the walk with very interesting people from all backgrounds and countries. It has become such a great introduction to different viewpoints and life stories. My friends that I have met along the way (whom I considered lifelong friends) has become the core reason why this walk will always be in my mind and heart. I thank them for such great memories. The walk is not over but will soon be. The feet is ready to say I am done as well as the mind but my heart says I want it to continue much longer.

Oh yeah my camera broke because I dropped it twice so I have missed some good shots. Will need to buy one before Santiago.

Until next time. Buen Camino.

After reaching a nice incline hike to the beginning of the second Meseta before Castrojeriz, Spain.

2 comments:

  1. ...so you're almost there.. what other plans do you have when you're done? how many more miles left on those shoes? lol.. n that camera, u better buy another one n take more pictures to show us.. take care n have fun always.. love n miss u son.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah almost there! I will continue to Fisterra and Muxia after Santiago de Compostela to see the coast. the shoe is in good shape but definitely wearing out. i will buy a camera as soon as i find one!! just got here at Cebreiro, Spain up in the mountain where it is snowing. first snow since Valcarlos. love you and miss you guys too!!

      Delete