Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Brussels and Bruges

Drinking cup of delicious Belgian coco at the famous brussels market

Yongmin and I at the market square
So I made it to Brussels after a short trip from Amsterdam. Originally planned on staying in Bruges but a couple I met in Amsterdam Gina and Jeffrey recommended I stay with this guy who host "couch surfers". This is an online community that have members from all over the world and participate in hosting people that travel to their hometowns. For free in return for companionship and making new friends. This man Rudy lives in Brussels and was kind enough to open up his penthouse for 2 nites. Such a wonderful person who cooked us dinner and had a fridge stocked up with GREAT Belgian beers. Got to meet Yongmin a Korean who is traveling Europe and have stayed with Rudy for over 3 weeks now. Great guy who is at a very difficult situation in his life at this time.Unfortunately I forgot to take a picture of Rudy and I but I hope he makes it back to Africa his homeland so I can one day visit him there. Overall Brussels was nice but was actually eager to visit Bruges also.


So on the way to Bruges I met this very lovely lady name Francine. I accidently sat in first class when the ticket guy notice this and kicked me to 2nd. I am very glad this happened because there happened to be an empty seat by Francine. She and I had a great conversation about her life and mine. So affirming how many great people you meet out of the blue. One moment they are strangers the next they are lifelong friends.

Made it to Bruges and immediately started exploring. First thing you notice is that it has that quaint old European town feel to it. Kinda like from the movies. Very small town that can be explored in one day.


Alot of old looking buildings and I am sure filled with great arts however I am not so interested in that as you know. Made it to a brewery called Brewery De Halve Maan. They make 4 kinds of beers that are just that typical amazing Belgian beer. Paid 6.50 Euros for a 45 min tour giving the old history of this brewery. I got a free blond beer at the end of the tour but I preferred the double pictured on the right. Anyways this is for now. I leave for Paris tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. you stayed at a penthouse? how have the rest of the hostels been? i'm sure that you are excited to start the el camino after paris...

    btw i stole some of the cash from you room. Ahaha. tip for my new haircut (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. its amazing how you meet people, making new friends.. i'm happy for you son... can't wait for your new post.. take care always. we love you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is great meeting all these people. It has been a great experience so far. I love and miss you guys too!

      Delete
  3. Yeah a penthouse right in the city. Pretty cool. The rest of hostel stays have been fine. No problem and they are place to meet all kinds of ppl. I mean not the cleanest or relaxing place to stay but they are way cheaper alternatives. Paris keel so far but I am eager to start the Camino you can keep the money :)

    ReplyDelete