Saturday, February 4, 2012


view from Jardins del Mirador

Dusk before dawn I am walking by the Palau Nacional de Montjuic (one of many museums here) alone. Some sun coming across the horizon. I cross underneath a small bridge. A guy in a leather jacket approx 6 foot tall in his 20s looking like a typical native crosses my path going the opposite way. He catches a glimpse and slows down. I notice this and sends my adrenaline pumping. Minding my own business he stops as I pass him and looks back at me. He looks around and back at me. I continue to walk and he starts following me slowly. (I of course had my ipod on with my insulating earphone playing some music). For all I know he could have been asking for direction and thought I was ignoring him. Oh shit moment... I start walking faster as I remove my earphone making a detour down the steps on the left with goal in mind to find a more public area. He continues to follow me as I find this older gentleman across the street. The guy in leather stops on top of the step looking down at me as I feel a sense of relief... He disappear back into the darkness... Sounds like a novel but damn I thought well you know.

Going back to the beginning: I heard about this place called Jardins del Mirador by the coastal area of Barcelona from which it provides a 360 view of the city. Also a place to watch sunrise and sunset. A walk approx 40 min from where I am staying now. I made the goal of going there this morning to watch the sunrise. Had a late start as I was sleepless last night. Sounded like a great idea to do this early. Anyhow I got all twisted when I had to make the unexpected detour from the man in leather. Walked around not knowing exactly where I was now. The older gentleman did point out where to go but he spoke no English. I went up the path-street until I met this other gentleman who at first I thought did not hear me when I tried to get his attention. Turned out he was extremely intoxicated with snot running down his nose and slurring his speech. He was walking like a zombie. Not knowing this until I got close to him he insisted to help me find my way. Sense of direction, command of the english language, and alcohol don´t mix well I suppose... He looks at map for a good 5 minutes as i tried to break away nicely. He was nice enough to try but failed. He lives in the area too haha.

It was a treat in the end when I found the place 25-30 min late. Felt like below zero with strong winds at the top. Further up the path is a castle probably built to protect the harbor as you can tell from the picture below.

Oh yeah according to Noel the guy was probably a male prostitute or was looking for one.. That area supposedly known to have those up there. Yeah freaking right... He wanted to rob me. (Note to my parents: I am unharmed and doing well). Overall it was a pretty exciting morning! Just wished I had my handgun.

harbor at the bottom

view from Mirador de l Alcalde (the castle)
statue of a soldier on the castle
WW2 canons I think on the castle
My meal after a pretty exciting morning!






3 comments:

  1. wow. i would have ran like hell. heheh, a male prostitute. be careful. glad you're so aware of your surroundings. have you been exploring alone? how does it feel to be in a foreign country and not able to speak the language.

    from soy:thats what happens when you wear tight pants. you're bound to attract male prostitutes.. lmao

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I been exploring just by myself. I find it best to do so because I see something and I just go without having to consider what another person wants haha. Sad but true. And no I didn't think the dude was interested in anything else but robbing me!!!

      Delete
  2. carlo just don't get any piercings and you will be ok...and I wish you had your hand gun as well :)

    ReplyDelete