Friday, February 10, 2012

Roma

Constantine Arch and the Colosseum
Sorry for not posting anything recently. This entry is a combo of last 3 days. Arrived in Rome on the 8th. I was not really feeling the ride to the city. Snow on the ground (first since 1980s) and grafitti all over the place. Traffic was crazy and incompareble to DC. Could not check in to my room until noon as they were cleaning them so I hanged around the train terminal falling asleep. Otherwise uneventful first day and I slept from noon till 2000.

I cant say I am really liking the food here. Not only are they expensive for what you get compared to Barcelona but mostly pasta and sandwiches (duh i know haha). Never was big into Italian food. So I been getting food from the grocery store which are cheaper and alright in taste haha.

Met some more Aussies last night. They do get around.

I had a late start on my 2nd day. First walked around the Colosseum. Pretty impressive monument however I enjoyed the Arch outside the Colosseum much more. The details of sculpting and the fact that there was alot less tourist (such as myself) around the Arch made it more enjoyable. For anyone visiting Rome you have to know that it is extremely focused on tourist and hawkers are everywhere trying to sell you this and that. After this I walked around the Roman Forum just a close proximity to the Colosseum. 

Got lost after for a bit and indervently ended up at the Trivi fountain. Yup was pretty crowded. I thought February was suppose to mean alot less tourist??

My favorite of the day has to be the Pantheon. Not only was it free to come in but a much impressive monument (in my opinion) and wonderful arts inside.

The great thing about Rome is most of the places a tourist would want to visit are within walking distances if your willing to simply walk and follow a map.
-------------------------
Went to visit the Basillica by Vatican City today and was quite daunting how enormouse the place was to visit. I mean the amount of arts (sculptures, paintings, Egyptian artifact) was just mind blowing. I met some Moroccans today and ended walking around with them. A daughter and a mother. I only went to the Vatican courtyard and did not have time to see inside the buildings. Today's weather was a mix of snow and rain. Pretty miserable for everyone but who cares when you spend most of your time indoors. I've learned that museums and religious artifacts are not my favorite things to look at and rather prefer walking around and meeting the people. (And enjoy the food but that has not happened here yet). I can't wait to get out of here and take a train to Cinque Terres. A much smaller place and more intimate look at the Italian culture. You can guess that Rome is not on my top list of all time.


The Pantheon. The flags are from a party of senior Italian citizens who want their needs heard.

Front of the Pantheon.

Moroccan family I met and decided to walk around with them. They speak French.

Japanese english students living in Ireland staying in same hostel. We had to do the peace sign because it is compulsory to do so when taking pics of Asian people :)

Vatican. Rain and snow.



5 comments:

  1. love to see u back posting ur blogs... look likes ur having fun.. love n miss u,. take care always. can't wait to read ur next blog..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try to post often but sometimes the Internet sucks and I don't have access to an actual pc to upload pics. I would hate to post something without pictures! Miss u guys.

      Delete
  2. Hey love the peace sign, that was funny. I am so jealous of your travels and all the people you are meeting along the way. By the way, soya totally missed my dinner hosting (Mexican food) and he currently blames you for not being here to keep him up-to-date and to remind him of these things ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for joining in the adventure even if it's in front of a computer :) There plenty of good people you meet in the hostels and even on the street. The moroccan family I met when I was asking for directions! I've learn that I can make friends from strangers on the street just by showing some kind interest in them. Hopefully you can travel and experience this in the near future. I told you that you should have skipped out on work and joined me lol. Tell Soya I can't hold his hand forever :)

      Delete
  3. I found this page by looking up "spanish computer for spain duh bluhbluhbluhbluhbluhbluhbluh" in google images. xD wut

    ReplyDelete